Wednesday, May 23, 2007

World Turtle Day 5/23/07

As usual, I needed more postcards than just the 5 for my swap group - and I only had enough of the batik fabric for 5 of the beaded ones, so I wound up with two different series this time. I worked on them on my lunch hours at work. My boss saw them, and her best friend's son has a band called Blue Turtle Seduction, so she wanted one of them. I had a couple of other friends outside this swap who I needed to send Turtle Day postcards to as well. Couldn't lay my hands on another piece of batik fabric with turtles in it (in a collection of batiks the size of mine, you'd think there would be another piece of turtle batik?!), so I had to go stash diving for the only other piece of turtle fabric that I was positive I had in my collection.When I found it, it didn't lend itself to beading, but the turtles were pretty small, and when I was online researching World Turtle Day, I saw a photograph of turtles sunning themselves on a log. My parents' house is on 2 acres on a lake and when I'm home, I love to go out and walk around their yard - there used to be a log out at the far end of the property where turtles would sun themselves and when I would get close, they would all dive into the lake - so this rendition reminds me of home. I just put together a quilt top for my friend Sandy in Austin who teaches and does quilt blocks with her class every year, and she purchased the wood-grain fabric for me to use in her quilt, so the scraps were timely for my Turtle Day cards.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home