Saturday, February 14, 2009

Censorship Alive and Well at JoAnn's

JoAnn's, in their (not so) infinite wisdom, decided to censor the March issue of Quilter's Home magazine - Mark Lipinski's creation. They decided that the content might be too much for their shoppers?! Puh-leeze! The issue featured some art quilts that, I guess, JoAnn's felt might offend their readers. Mark had this issue shrink-wrapped so that no one would be offended by the material UNLESS THEY BOUGHT THE MAGAZINE. I'm appalled at this type of censorship - Fahrenheit 451 anyone?! I e-mailed JoAnn's to express my censorship concerns a couple of weeks ago - no response. Anyone surprised? Someone on the about.com quilting forum suggested that perhaps we should boycott JoAnn's in March, and I'm on the bandwagon for that one. I just e-mailed JoAnn's - again - to advise them that I won't be making any purchases in March, and hope there are others who value our freedoms in this country and will decide to do the same. The quilts in question in the magazines are art quilts - an artist's statement about particular issues that exist in our society. I hope there is enough of an outcry to cause JoAnn's to see a drop in sales in the month of March!

Pat H/SWquilter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home