Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Quilt for Dr. Kaufman's Granddaughter

Hilda and I have been making quilts to donate to Dr. Kaufman to give to kids newly diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes for quite some time now. Many years ago, Dr. Kaufman started piecing the blocks in this quilt when she was pregnant. The baby was a boy, the blocks never got made into a quilt - or even a quilt top. Now her son and his wife are expecting and the baby is a girl. Hilda told Dr. K. to give her the blocks and we would try to get a quilt together for the new grandbaby. We got the top pieced yesterday and Hilda will no doubt have it quilted and bound pretty quickly. We pulled the sashing, cornerstones and outer border from Hilda's stash - and amazingly enough, the red we used for the sashing is the same fabric, in another colorway, that Dr. K. had used for the stems and leaves on her appliqued flowers. The blocks were pieced back in the 70s, I think - so what do you think the chances are of actually having had the same fabric, different color? I was amazed anyway?! The blocks are tiny - 5 1/2" finished more or less, so it's a small quilt, but very cool that Grandma made the blocks, I think.

Pat H/SWquilter
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home