Monday, February 20, 2006

February JQC - Red Moon Rising

My piece this month sort of created itself. I knew I wanted to start with transferring the picture of the Geisha to fabric, but from there, it just sort of grew on its own. I bought a couple of collections of hand-dyed silk and silk velvet scraps on eBay, and number of those pieces wound up forming the log cabin frame for the Geisha herself. I backed the silks with a stabilizer to give them more substance. I took the transferred picture with me to Quiltz when I went looking for some oriental fabrics to use in this piece, and was lucky to find several fabrics that I thought worked perfectly - I liked those fabrics so much, I wound up wishing this piece was larger so I could have used more of them - but I'm sure I'll find a use for them again. I'm having a hard time remembering how to download this picture into webshots, but hopefully by tomorrow, which is really my reveal date, Deb will have read about my problem and walked me through it, once again. The journal page which I attached to the back of this piece reads as follows:

Journal Quilt Challenge 2006

February


Guide me on my way –
My boat rows on across a sea
Of trackless waves,
And I cannot tell where I am bound –
O wind that blows up on all sides

Princess Shokushi


2/13/06 A friend gave me a box with a print of this Geisha on top of it. I transferred the Geisha print to silk fabric, then did a log cabin setting around it using scraps of silk and velvet that I bought on eBay. The background just seemed to form itself as I found Oriental fabrics that complemented the colors in the Geisha print. For a long time I had the transfer of the Geisha and some fabrics that I selected to go with it – and perhaps a general idea of what I might do. Last night I dreamed about constructing the log cabin frame around the Geisha and the remainder of the quilt just seemed to flow from there –construction, except for printing the Geisha on fabric, and quilting completely done in a single day!

Pat Havens
SWquilter
Phoenix, Arizona

 Posted by Picasa

15 Comments:

Blogger Sandra said...

Beautiful image! And a very nice design. I love the red moon and dark background. It really does look like she's looking out a lighted doorway. The things you put on the back are also very interesting.

6:09 PM  
Blogger jenclair said...

I love this, Pat! The fabrics are beautiful, and like Sande, I love the red moon. The log cabin around the Geisha makes such a perfect frame...lucid dreaming provided a great solution.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

You captured a wonderful mood. The fabric choices are great and the red moon is the perfect punctuation for the piece. Namaste.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Nice piece Pat - I love it!! Pam P

7:38 PM  
Blogger DebbyMc said...

This is gorgeous, Pat! The texture is so rich and the red moon: perfec! The green is a beautiful swirling water...wonderful...I can't stop looking at it...I love it!
DebbyMc

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your geisha piece is wonderful. The transfer turned out beautiful and I really like the embellishments, especially the red moon. Good job!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Karoda said...

With small works the challenge is greater to capture a sense of emotion but I believe you accomplished it with this. She looks as if she escaping into the night.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Really love the way you framed the picture with the log cabin, I always like it when traditional techniques are incorperated in contemporary pieces (these terms are relative but i trust you know what I mean). Pretty fabrics and the moon gives it 'zing'. Well done!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Micki said...

your piece is very nice. love your fabrics and that red moon. gorgeous!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Rian said...

It's beautiful! I love the geisha, and that piece of green swirly fabric really sets it off. I love it!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Granny Fran said...

That is such a wonderful piece. The red moon just jumps at you in complement to the green swirls below. I have always loved Log Cabin and it is so different and yet, perfect, in this oriental context. I love how you dreamed the creative solution.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara C said...

Beautiful work! I love the green water and the lovely poem

8:53 PM  
Blogger Deb Geyer said...

The log cabin creates a great frame for the Geisha. I love it when I dream about my projects and wake up with a plan.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Debra Dixon said...

Great piece, Pat!

7:31 AM  
Blogger PaigeTurner said...

Pat, somehow I missed your Feb Journal quilt when I toured the "ring"--it's beautiful! Very evocative and mysterious!
Beautiful work!
Beth/"Paige"

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home