Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Chapter 7, Check in - 1/10/06

This is the string-pieced quilt I made for my sister for Christmas - for their new 5th wheel. String-pieced blocks for me are the sewing version of morning pages -- don't require me to overthink anything, so my mind can be wandering off in a thousand other directions while I treat myself to the relaxation of a bit of sewing before I have to leap into my day -- and the quilts are always so happy looking. I do miss the fact that with the onset of AW and morning pages, I rarely have time to do any sewing before work anymore -- but can't bring myself to get up earlier than 5 a.m. either to give myself more time in the morning. I did morning pages 5 out of 7 mornings last week. While I do put down a lot of random thoughts as I write, it seems that morning pages have become the place where I try to work out my ideas for the Journal Quilt Challenge -- ideas for the piece I'm currently working on, a place to record ideas for pieces in future months, etc. I enjoy the writing, but I do miss sewing in the a.m.

I really like Chapter 7's discussions of perfectionism - gave me some new insights into it. I don't tend to think of myself as a perfectionist - one who will rip out and rip out and rip out in search of the perfect point for instance - but this chapter gave me some insight into other ways in which I do fall into the pefectionist category -- I don't want to attempt something unless I know I'll do it well - sure how many of us spring forth into this world having already mastered all the techniques - of whatever it is we choose to do. And then there was the section on risk-taking!! Synchronicity. . . or whatever. . . decided the timing was right and to throw me a curve ball on this one -- last week my boss of 12 years told me he's leaving the firm at the end of the month. I've mentioned this already in my blog I think, so if you already read it, I apologize for repeating - but as you can imagine, this has been a big issue for me this week. I can't honestly tell you that I love my job. I'm good at it, I work very well with Rob so the job is, as jobs go, okay - or at least it has been up until now. He would like to eventually be able to offer me a position at the new place, but that isn't immediately possible. I've been at this firm for 16 years, they aren't going to fire me, I'll still have a "job" but as I look around, I know that there really isn't anyone there that I'm going to connect with in the same way. So, I'm trying to see this as an opportunity for me to consider my options and see what is out there that might interest me more. Do I want to just move to another law firm for a similar position? I really don't think so - prior to this job, that could only buy my complacency in 5 year increments, then I was fed up with the job and the personalities and it was time for a change -- I can go to another law firm and I'll find that I can do the job again - probably for another 5 years til I need either a change of jobs or a change of faces again to make me complacent. . . for probably another 5 years. So anyway, while I'm not ruling out law firms completely yet, I'm going to look around and see what other things might be available -- Try to test the limits of Julia's statement that "very often a risk is worth taking simply for the sake of taking it." I still have a job to go to so I can pay the bills, but I can test the waters in other areas as well and see what I see. Jeez, wonder what Chapter 8 holds?!

My artist date this week was probably pretty lame - a trip around ebay checking out fabrics that I could use in my journal pieces. I picked up a few more hand-dyes and some wonderful silk and silk velvet scraps that I'm trying to decide how best to use. Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger sophie said...

I don't want to attempt something unless I know I'll do it well ... this is SO true for me, too. I know I get stalled on quilt projects because I don't feel skilled enough to add the appliquéd borders I feel it needs, or the quilting I want is just beyond my grasp. How silly is that? Instead of having a less-than-perfect quilt, I have yet another UFO.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I worked through the exercises in the Artist Way a couple of years ago. It was a lovely journey. I still keep a journal titled "Morning Muses/Nightly Notes" to allow for flexibility with my schedule - the goal was to write whenever.
A friend send an email to me yesterday, all it said was: What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

7:26 PM  
Blogger Rian said...

Speaking of risk-taking, don't forget the quote "Leap and the net will appear."

Then there's my personal favorite, "For every window that closes, a door opens." Or something like that.

Awesome quilt!! Wowzer! Did you quilt it yourself? Beautious!

11:06 PM  
Blogger jenclair said...

Love the quilt!

I am willing to take risks in areas that I believe there is a chance of succeeding, but am reluctant to jump into something where repeated failure is a good possibility. It is a funny kind of "perfectionism." Failure when in a process of improvement doesn't faze me, but why attempt something at which I expect to fail repeatedly. Need to give that much more thought.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Jane Ann said...

Pat, I LOVE your string quilt. I enjoyed the string-pieced baby quilt I made for my stepdaughter. Made it from an Evelyn Sloppy book and I too enjoy the repetitive process.

I've been musing over your job situation and will be interested to see what you do. Could well be a door opening for you. I know you have much to think over.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Debra Dixon said...

Just a beautiful string quilt--one of the prettiest I've seen!

You have more discipline than you may be giving yourself credit!

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home