Saturday, December 24, 2005

Journal Quilt for January - practice pieces

In the quest for the perfect tree bark, I seem to have purchased a lot of variegated threads in the brown tones -- the one I actually used for this piece is a King Tut, which is still on the machine, not in this picture. . . and I have 2 more varieties coming from Connecting Threads. Fortunately, I love autumn shades and will eventually find uses for all this I'm sure, but I can see that I'm going to have to rein myself in somewhat, somewhere, somehow - if I buy 15 spools of thread or so for every element of every journal piece I attempt, I'll soon be in the poorhouse! Tried this tree on muslin, basic quilt sandwich - muslin front & back with Warm & Natural in between. The tension is too tight for thread play, came out very puckery. So, trying to think back to a class I took with Julie Hocker several years ago, I think I either have to monkey with the bobbin tension -- something Ricky Tims says I shouldn't be scared of! -- or as I recall in her class, rather than a quilt sandwich for the thread play, we used a stabilizer under the fabric - which I am sure I still have some of around here. So for the next practice piece, that's what I'll try - I think the tension issue would be lessened with only fabric and a stabilizier. But once I started on this one, I had to keep going even though I wasn't thrilled with the results, just to practice the technique for making the tree itself. Now, off to pour a cup of coffee and do morning pages. . . Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger Hilda said...

I like the tree, and you're way ahead of me. My ideas are still just bouncing around in my head.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Debra Dixon said...

Let's just start out with a Big Bang!

I agree with Hilda--like the tree!

Merry Christmas, Pat! Will you be spending it with any family or friends?

9:30 AM  
Blogger Jane Ann said...

Pat, if you're going to monkey around with the bobbin, you might think about buying a second bobbin case. Mark it with nail polish or something, and leave the original as is. Love the tree.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Rian said...

Pat, that is shaping up to be a real fine tree. Jane Ann's right--buy a second bobbin and use that one for bobbin-sewing. I'm going to try that myself one of these months. PS: You can never have too much thread.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Pat/SWquilter said...

"PS: You can never have too much thread."

I'm sure you're right about that, although a bit more variety color-wise might have been smarter than so many shades of brown. Oh well, they're all pretty and I'll eventually find a use for them I'm sure.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Micki said...

I like the tree. I am still thinking about what to do for the first journal page.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home