Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Creative Luxuries - Week 6

Finished reading Chapter 6 last night and it's another one that really resonates for me. I wondered how those of you who didn't like Chapter 5 felt about this one -- any better? Worse? For me it seems to clarify Julia's ideas on abundance for the creative spirit - and made it more clear (to me at least) that she wasn't necessarily saying that we would all wind up millionaires with every tool we've ever dreamed of, but that the abundance exists and we can each wind up with what we need most, including enough $$ to make that happen. Some of what she's saying we need most are the time and space to do what we love -- and even though we all don't necessarily feel like we've carved out enough time or space, we all seem to have managed to find some of both at least and are thinking about how we might get more. In the tasks for the week, she asks again about our artist's date and asks if we've considered allowing ourself two. For me, it's synchronistic in that she asks that in a week where I actually have two artist's dates planned. Friday and Saturday I'm doing a Ricky Tims workshop and I've volunteered to work some of the breaks, etc. in the "store" so I'll get to play with the fabric he brings, check out the dvds, etc. -- and the $60 in store credit you get for being a volunteer will entitle my artist child to bring home even more of those items than she might otherwise be allowed (I'm already assuming I may exceed the $60 amount!!). Will also be a good opportunity to actually meet him and the staff members he brings along - we'll help with set-up on Thurs. evening, work shifts on Friday and Saturday either in the store or as white gloves or ushers, then help take the quilts down on Saturday and pack up the merchandise he brings. This weekend is also the Pueblo Grande Indian Market, so on Sunday I will head over to the old Indian School property to soak up some of that atmosphere - there will be music, dancing, food, in addition to booths for hundreds of artists. It's always one of my favorite markets because the space is large enough that you don't get claustrophobic and usually the weather is lovely so being outdoors for a few hours looking at Native American art is a real pleasure. Then next week I'm on vacation, so this weekend should be a wonderful intro to what I hope is a wonderful and productive week at home. Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Pat/SWquilter said...

Thanks Gemia! I'm really looking forward to it. Hoping that between Colorado and Arizona, none of the store items will get lost! LOL! I'd love to do one of his retreats in CO one day too.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

I'm so jealous...sounds like a wonderful weekend. Indian Market sounds great too. I love your sky picture! Are you taking that camera everywhere now? ;-) I want pictures of Indian Market.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Jane Ann said...

Oh, Pat, envy, envy here. You SW gals lead such arty lives! Your picture is fabulous--aren't you just thrilled with your camera? You make me feel like a drone this week!
;-)

9:11 AM  
Blogger Pat/SWquilter said...

Hilda, I will take my camera along, but they may request that I not take pictures at Indian Market - a lot of Native Americans do not want their pictures taken and they ask everyone to please be considerate of that. Too bad you're not going to be here this weekend, you could with me!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Pat/SWquilter said...

Gemia, his fabrics are gorgeous! The hand-dyes are $25/yd. or buy 4, get 1 free - and there must be at least 20 pieces I would love to own. I might be better off if the fabric hadn't arrived here!

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home