Monday, January 05, 2015

Dye Job

I was recently lamenting that my duvet cover and shams were too blue for the new quilt I pieced for my bed (see bottom picture).  I had apparently removed any labels on the duvet and shams that indicated the fiber content, but I thought they were cotton.  I have a front loading washer - doesn't really fill with enough water to do machine dying.  I thought I might have to try to do it at a laundromat, but when my dad passed away and I had to go back to Illinois for a few weeks, I knew he had a top loading washer, so I took the duvet
and shams with me so that I could dye them while I was there.  They didn't take the dye as well as I had hoped, but after two attempts and 3 bottles of Rit dye, they have taken on enough of a greenish tint (top picture) that I can live with how they look with the quilt.  Someday I may stumble across a duvet and shams that I think work better, but for now, these are going to do just fine!

Pat H/SWquilter

1 Comments:

Blogger sophie said...

The color may not be what you intended, but your room looks so cozy. Sometime this winter, I plan to make a quilty duvet cover ... if I don't run out of time.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home