Thursday, November 10, 2005

Week One Check-in

Okay, so I was late on my intro, now I'm late on my Week One check-in too - do you see a trend here? Anyway, I decided I'd better get on with Week ONe before Week Two is over and I'm 2 weeks behind. I really don't mind doing the morning pages, although I think I only did 4 days last week, then got sidetracked getting organized for Hilda's visit (she arrived last night and we had a wonderful day today - more about that in the Week Two check-in). I have always enjoyed sitting down with pen and paper - or in this case pencil and paper - and writing long letters to friends that are almost a stream of consciousness for me. The morning pages aren't "too" different - although I've never written 2 pages of the same sentence over and over again in a letter to someone because I couldn't think of anything else to say or was trying to move past some preconceived notion I've internalized - and I did do that at least one morning last week with the "it's okay to move toward selling my work for a reasonable amount one of these days" concept. As for the activity to share, I also chose the one about the 5 careers if I could be anything I wanted to be:

1. A ballerina -- I love ballet and this is something I dreamed about even as a child. I took ballet lessons once in my life -- after I was an adult and working after college -- so don't have a lot of training for this but I do love to watch ballet and would love to be that graceful and agile. Since these didn't necessarily have to be practical choices, this was the first thing that came to mind.

2. A photographer or painter. I've taken a lot of photography classes at a local junior college, mostly black & white, and really enjoyed that. Also would love the freedom of being able to paint - watercolors are a particular favorite of mine. I counted this as one choice, I guess because it is sort of similar to my mind -- seeing something and recording it, whether with camera or paints. Any artistry I've ever felt that I had really involves fabric -- but other than photography and a beginning clay class, I don't guess I've ever really tried other forms of art.

3. A costumer. I worked in the costume shop for Summer Music Theatre one year when I was at Southern and had a lot of fun that summer. Got to be involved in theatre productions backstage and see different aspects of the theatre productions that I enjoyed.

4. An archaeologist - hope I spelled that right! Love the thought of uncovering some ancient civilization and fitting the pieces of the puzzle of their existence together. My favorite vacations involve ruins of some kind -- Mexico and the Southwest have been wonderful destinations to feed that interest.

5. A healer - don't mean a doctor or nurse necessarily by this -- herbalist, Reiki master??? Something more along those lines. In addition to having an internist, I also started to see a naturopath when I started going through menopause for some alternative methods on dealing with those symptoms and I've been seeing someone for Reiki for about the past 3 years. I've had the Reiki I attunement which gives me some of the skills to keep myself in balance and I find the whole process fascinating.

I've enjoyed reading everyone else's blog to see where Week One led them!

Pat

2 Comments:

Blogger Debra Dixon said...

I did a little stint as a costumer too and it was fun! Why don't you pursue that more & maybe combine it with a ballet staging? sounds like it is right up your alley!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Jane Ann said...

Very interesting choices, Pat! All artistic except for the archeology. (When I was a child I used to tell people I wanted to be an archeologist--I think because it was a long word that impressed adults! :-) But to this day, I would jump at a chance to see the pyramids.) I was rather serious/practical in my alternative career choices--very narrow! Need to work on that.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home